Tuesday, 1 September 2009

the perhentian islands


I have spent the last two days on Perhentian Kecil - one of two stunning little islands just off the north eastern coast of peninsular Malaysia.

It was word of mouth rather than a travel guide or internet site that brought me here, and I have not been left disappointed. The island is virtually unpopulated - it is little more than a jungle with a smattering of hotels and bars on the beach. With beautiful white sand and stunningly blue clear water, it is as close to a perfect picture postcard place as is possible to describe.

The Perhentians are not party islands - they are more renowned for diving than raving. That said, the vast majority of tourists are in their 20s - albeit mainly couples rather than groups. It's the ultimate place to kick back and do absolutely fuck all. You can float in the water here in such an effortless way that seems so synonymous with this part of the world.

My only criticism of this place - and it's actually more of an observation - is that it isn't cheap. Boozing in Malaysia is a comparatively expensive pastime in a south eastern Asian context (they're into their Islam here) and a small can of beer costs just under two quid. My hotel, which is nice but nothing special, also set me back more than 50 notes a night. I would estimate the Perhentians are twice as expensive as some equivalent destinations, which is something to factor in to how long you decide to spend here.

As is always the case, I'm having trouble adjusting my body clock while away. I can sleep like a baby for ten hours and still feel like I've been hit by a truck when I get up. the boozing probably doesn't help, if I'm being honest...

I leave the Perhentians this afternoon (Wednesday) to catch a boat to the mainland, where I will need a cab to the station, then I get the sleeper train back down to Kuala Lumpur, train to the airport, flight to Krabi in Thailand, taxi to port and boat to Phi Phi Island. Fuck me.

1 comment:

  1. Aren't you planning on doing ANY WORK while you're out there? That critical paragraph in the Express about tree pollarding in Beaconsfield requires an immediate repsonse. Tsk, anyone would think you're on holiday or something..... x

    ReplyDelete